Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Information Overload

I just read an article on the New York Times Website that covered some recent research that shows a connection between our addiction to technology and constant stimulation and brain fatigue. For a Gen-Yer, I'm probably a little less connected to the world of technology than others. I don't have cable; I actually enjoy the feeling of release when I forget my phone at home; my iPod's been dead for a few days; and my camera, well, I can't remember the last time I turned it on. But I'm still addicted. I may not have cable, but I'm more than familiar with Hulu. When I don't forget my phone, it's either in my pocket or in my sight. I use the internet for hours everyday when I'm bored. And all of this can be exhausting. The study in the article makes a lot of sense even though we don't think about it. Just looking at the homepage for the Business section, I can count links to 24 different articles. No wonder I'm tired when I get home from work or get off the computer. But what do we do to relax? Turn to the TV, or a mindless game on your phone. We allow ourselves to be pelted with information all day long and then we turn to it to calm down! 

Not only do we wear ourselves out, but I'd venture to guess these effects have considerable repercussions on our relationships with others. Interacting effectively with people at work, at home, at the store takes focus and energy. To fully listen to somebody, evaluate your own actions and responses, or analyze how best to work with someone with a totally different personality is hardwork. When we've completely drained our brains of function during our free time and our work time with all of this information, we compromise our ability to nurture effective and successful relationships. So I urge everyone (including myself), to resist the temptation to zone out on your laptop or in front of the TV when you get home after a long day, and go on a walk, or sit in the park for an hour. I'd be willing to bet that you'll react more consciously to those around you. Not only will they appreciate it, but you won't be as exhausted and will be enjoying some of the simpler things in life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment